The “Healthy Care Pregnancy Program” pilot aims to better support pregnant and newly parenting individuals who use or have used substances in the province, and utilizes formal connections between 8-10 acute care facilities and 8-10 BCAPOP Program Members .
The launch commenced with Royal Inland Hospital and The Tree due to existing connections, relationships and identified need.
List of Pilot Sites:
- Royal Inland Hospital, Kamloops – The Tree
- Mills Memorial Hospital, Terrace – Terrace Child Development Centre
- Powell River General Hospital – Lift Community Services
- University Hospital of Northern British Columbia –Prince George and Area Elizabeth Fry Society
- West Coast General Hospital, Port Alberni - Port Alberni Early Years Program
- Cowichan District Hospital, Duncan - Hiiye'yu Lelum (House of Friendship) Society
- Cariboo Memorial Hospital, Williams Lake - Cariboo Friendship Centre
Healthy Care Pregnancy Program Pilot Project Key Points
Acute to Community Partnership
- Leveraging existing relationships to provide hospital based in-reach through the Healthy Care Pregnancy Programs through 8-10 acute care/hospital sites in BC
- BCAPOP to engage with acute care and regional working groups in process
- 8-10 BCAPOP Program Members to receive funding for a BSW or RN to provide in-reach into hospitals
Healthy Care Pregnancy Program Pilot Project
- In-reach into acute care to support pregnant and parenting women using substances in community and postpartum (0-7 months at minimum)
- Focused on women experiencing risks to their health and well-being (e.g. unstable housing, poverty)
- Meeting with the women throughout the pregnancy, walking along side her journey and supporting her access to basic needs, transitions, etc.
- Maintaining mother baby togetherness
- Supporting holistic wellness and addressing chronic health issues and needs for both the women and the infant
- Building confidence and self efficacy
- Identifying pressure points in the system of care for intervention/support
BCAPOP acknowledges that this pilot project is funded by the Provincial Perinatal Substance Use Project, BC Women’s Hospital and Health Centre, PHSA.